Premier Chemicals are working very hard to be REACH ready, making sure all of our products are fully compliant with the legislation.
What is REACH?
REACH is the recent EU legislation developed to deal with registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemicals within the EU. REACH covers substances imported into EU countries and is designed to more tightly regulate these exports and imports within Europe, increasing the transparency and safety in the industry.
What are the objectives?
- Provide improved risk management and Health and Safety.
- Ensure a high level of protection from exposure to chemicals in order to safeguard human health and improve the industries performance and awareness to the Environment.
- More tightly regulate imports into the EU and maintain high standards across the chemical industry.
- Create and encourage innovation and competiveness in the EU for the chemicals industry both in environmental issues and financial competiveness.
- To shift responsibility for regulation from the authorities to industry.
What happens if Premier Chemicals does not embrace REACH?
If we are not registered as ‘ready’ and we do not register product you cannot sell these products.
No Registration = No Market, therefore any company importing and selling substances it has not registered will be doing so illegally.
Who is affected?
- Virtually everyone in the supply chain dealing with chemical substances will have their own obligations to meet to comply.
- Manufacturers or Importers in the EU, including Premier Chemicals.
- Downstream users who are processing chemicals, formulating preparations or mixtures for end use or formulating products as part of their business.
How does REACH affect manufacturers?
- Duties as an EU manufacturer
- Pre-Register substances at the European Chemicals Agency between June 1st and December 1st, 2008 if the volume produced or imported is 1 Tonne or more per year and per legal entity.
- Commence registration of substances June 1st, 2008
- Identify all uses of substances.
- Create Exposure Scenarios and recommendations of risk management measures.
- Communicate the Exposure Scenarios down the supply chain via Material Safety Data Sheets.
Options of a Non-EU manufacturer
- Provide each importer of your substances located in the EU with the data and information necessary for (Pre) Registration.
- Alternatively appoint an ‘Only Representative’ established in the EU to fulfil the obligations of an importer.
Please contact Premier Chemicals if you have any further questions about us being REACH ready.